Skip to content

QCon wrap up

Update:  My slides are here.  However, they’re not as effective without the demo.

What’s left to say? It seems everyone who participated in the SOA track, as a speaker or attendee, has already posted their thoughts. And others who could not attend have run with Stefan’s notes (go backwards from that link to see them all).

From my POV, it was a fantastic two days. All of the RESTians on the SOA track had excellent (if somewhat overlapping) presentations. The lone non-dyed-in-the-wool REST proponent, Sanjeeva, had a—uhm, err, shall I say—provocative presentation. So lets talk about some of the other sessions I was able to attend. On the Ruby track Obie Fernandez gave a presentation on “Designing RESTful Rails Applications.” I knew most of what Obie had to say already, but still learned a thing or two, and also learned that there’s more to learn. Must peak into the routing code. It was a good talk nonetheless, especially if you were Rails proficient, but new to RESTful application design. James Cox also gave an informative talk (with examples!) of what’s new in Rails 2.0. And Jay Fields gave a wonderfully intriguing talk on using Ruby to build “Business Natural Languages.” That is, highly specialized, English-like DSLs that can be used by subject matter experts to implement business rules. This talk was not a “gee, wouldn’t it be nice” kinda thing either. He’s really built them. With great success.

Brian Zimmer, lead architect at Orbitz, gave a talk on the Architecture Track about growing Orbitz both from an infrastructure and design viewpoint as well as from a U.S.-centric to a globally-capable system. Brian was a good speaker, but I can’t say I learned much. Rule #1 seems to be, don’t code yourself into a corner with U.S.-centric assumptions. Rule #2 seems to be don’t architect yourself into a corner with bad design choices. Both true. Both hard. But what really moved this talk from “green” to “yellow” for me, was his discussion on caching. In order for Orbitz to not beat the crap out of their partner’s systems, they cache results for a period of time (presumably based on SLAs, since there’s no cache control info on the wire), but their original, home-grown, caching solution didn’t scale. Brian described this system via the metaphor of a block of mailboxes that you might see in a post office or apartment building that could only hold so much information and only for a specific partner. And my thought was, well, who the heck designed that? They resolved the problem by purchasing a commercial caching solution, but he wouldn’t say which one.

James Noble presented Thursday’s keynote “The Lego Hypothesis.” With a somewhat over-the-top presentation style, James said the right thing: Google is our software repository, and developers reuse code snippets and libraries just as people have been saying we should — albeit, without being weighed down by issues like “correctness.”

I arrived late on Wednesday and so could only take in two sessions. The first had Chet Haase, Erik Meijer (LINQ), Charlie Nutter (JRuby), Joshua Bloch (large pieces of Java), and Rod Johnson (Spring) debating the future of Java. Everyone was (obviously) knowledgeable and pragmatic. They did not, however, all agree. I felt myself leaning towards Charlie’s answers which can be summed up as “it’s up to you, now.” I also managed to attend Wednesday’s closing presentation, “50 in 50,” delivered by the eminent Dr. Richard Gabriel; a bizarre, delightful, entertaining multimedia romp through the history of programming languages. My favorite? HQ9+.

That’s it. A wonderful conference made better by being able to meet many people face to face for the first time, including not only my fellow track speakers but Stu Charlton, Mike Herrick, Patrick Logan, and many others.

{ 14 } Comments

1. toms shoes for cheap | June 21, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

I am John, how are you everybody? This paragraph Pete Lacey’s Weblog : QCon wrap up posted at this web site is truly pleasant. toms shoes for cheap http://www.voguetoms.com/womens-toms-shoes-flat-c-10.html

2. top side socket | October 17, 2013 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

3. facetime pc | November 28, 2013 at 4:05 am | Permalink

This is why Facebook games are becoming more popular.
    They can collect information about opinions and evaluation of their product.

‘ Just like many other ‘free to play’ games there are always way to spend your money within the game.

4. seo rankings | December 5, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks designed for sharing such a good thought,
    piece of writing is good, thats why i have read it fully

5. longchamp bags outlet | March 10, 2014 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Find out who is discussing about bag and reason why you ought to get worried.

6. Nhs 360 | March 22, 2014 at 6:21 am | Permalink

The shortage of pediatricians trained in specialties such as neurology,
    gastroenterology, and developmental and behavioral medicine threatens timely
    access to care for itself. They all have their own blog in the agridirectory
    nhs + it where there is frequent public transportation for the organic labels.

00 to 18 00, or 1. Bill Clinton won the 1992 presidential election because he knew the
    cost of the handsets, they also bargain the pricing
    with Manufacturers.

7. dc universe station | April 12, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the
    images aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a
    linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

8. dc universe hacks | April 19, 2014 at 1:10 am | Permalink

We absolutely love your blog and find the majority of your post’s to be exactly I’m looking for.
    Does one offer guest writers to write content in your case?
    I wouldn’t mind creating a post or elaborating
    on most of the subjects you write about here.

Again, awesome web log!

9. wizard101 crown | April 19, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Because here is a list of multiplayer games is that the leave was
    asked for more. Duplicating things that have already been proven to work is a great strategy when you are trying
    to grow your business and build a team. You must get in the game and practice ALL of the
    programs that will change your life like it has mine.

10. air 11 jordans | May 14, 2014 at 5:30 am | Permalink

mêmes extrêmement utiles Will . Partager Site bons amis . |
    air 11 jordans http://www.fit-training.fr/chaussures-nike-free/air-11-jordans.html

11. chaussure shox nike | May 14, 2014 at 5:31 am | Permalink

Great looking site internet . Présumer vous avez fait beaucoup d’ votre propre codage . |
    chaussure shox nike http://www.pom-canell.fr/chaussures-nike-air-max/chaussure-shox-nike.html

12. Car Accident | May 21, 2014 at 5:17 am | Permalink

They directly negotiate to the other party to make sure the
    latter is aware for liabilities. This principle in the United States is
    called ‘Alternative Dispute Resolution’ and continues to gain popularity.
    If a trial becomes necessary, it can take several years to complete the case.

13. nike air max 1 UK | June 1, 2014 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

What’s up, everything is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing
    data, that’s genuinely excellent, keep up writing.

14. Staten Island | July 6, 2014 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

This piece of writing is in fact a nice one it helps new the web visitors, who
    are wishing for blogging.